What if you want your kitchen to be a multi-purpose space? Amy Dillon, a Principal Designer at AyA Kitchens, shares her expert tips on how to create a seamless, blended space in the heart of the home.
1. AyA Kitchens used one cabinet door style and colour throughout the room to tie together the kitchen and the desk/pantry/bar area.
2. Using one countertop design and carrying it up on the backsplash made the space flow and gave it an open feel.
3. Countertop height cabinets were chosen for the desk area, equipped with a stool. This allows the space to double as a bar or serving area for when the homeowner entertains. One side of the desk has storage for files and the other contains a large pull-out for liquor. The addition of glass cabinets above the bar area, with mirrored backs, lighting and glass shelves, adds to the bar feel while still being pretty and simple for an area that functions as a desk on most days.
4. Tall cabinets flank either side of the desk to make it feel more like a built-in unit, while doubling as pantry storage for the kitchen.
5. A small appliance garage is tucked in the corner beside the fridge, offering a great spot to store your coffee maker, blender or kettle. Plus, it blends right in with the rest of the space.