For most of us, a home is the largest investment we’ll make in our lifetime. When you decide to sell that asset, these simple home staging tips can get you the most money in the least amount of time.
1. Purchase fresh, neutral linens for the bedrooms. A new duvet cover to cover existing bedding is a great option and keeps the cost down. Up the ante by adding a throw to the bed and a few toss cushions to create that “hotel” ambiance. In keeping with the “hotel/spa” theme, buy fluffy, white towels for all bathrooms.
2. Replace knobs and pulls. But beware, as this can quickly become an expensive option depending on the number of doors, drawers and cupboards you have in your home. In my professional opinion, this is a “nice to do” but not a “need to do” because of the potential cost.
3. Paint inside and out. This is perhaps the most important tip for staging that has the greatest impact for the lowest price. A fresh coat of paint, provided it is the right colour, will always give the seller their money back – and then some.
4. Replace flooring. This especially applies to carpet, which is a turn-off for many potential buyers. Replacing damaged tiles and linoleum will also benefit your bottom line.
5. Hire a professional home stager. Whether you don’t know where to start, or have an idea of what needs to be done but need help with access to trades and suppliers, a home stager can assist. And, a stager will be able to assist in preparing the entire property for the real estate market, so the seller gets more money in less time.
Even when potential buyers see minor disrepair, they will wonder what else is wrong with the home. These simple staging tips let potential buyers know your property has been well cared for and maintained, and could give them that extra boost of confidence they need to seal the deal.